Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wacky Wednesday

Aaah Wednesday, the day I pick up my vegie box from Food Connect, then scrabble around desparately trying to figure out what I am going to cook this week with all the wonderful vegetables that have just come in to my possession. And then there's trying to fit them all in the fridge....
The above photo is what I got in my Single Vegie Box this week. I cannot say enough good things about Food Connect (and no, I do not work for them). If you live in Brisbane and are looking for local produce, check them out. Everything is grown within 5 hours of Brisbane and most of the fruit and vegies are organic or very close to it.
Getting the vegie box each week has totally changed the way I shop for and prepare our meals. We are spending approximately $100 less on groceries each week now (no kidding, we used to spend about $260/wk, now it is more like $160). Admittedly we eat simpler meals now and I "make do" with what we do have in the pantry rather than buying every single item listed on a recipe.
Here is what I came up with this week from the vegies in the box:
Friday: Pizza (it is always pizza on Fridays) - chargrilled eggplant, feta, olives, ham and antipasto from jars in fridge.
Saturday: San Choy Baos + rice - lettuce, mince beef, cucumber, peanuts.
Sunday: Creamy spinach, mushroom, onion and bacon fettucini.
Monday: Chicken, basil, pumpkin, green beans, onion, chilli stirfry. Fish sauce. rice.
Tuesday: Fruity beef casserole + mash potato (including green beans, zucchini and fig paste to use up from the fridge).
Wednesday: Home made tortillas with chicken, onion, tomato, capsicum & canned corn stew. lettuce, sour cream.
Thursday: Stirfry beef with onion, broccoli, corn, zucchini, home made plum sauce & rice.
Baking: cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment