Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Making Mustard

The other day DH was looking in the fridge for the mustard, which we seem to have used up and I had failed to replace. Instead of just adding it to my shopping list, I thought "I can make this", and I did.
This recipe makes a nice mild sweet seeded mustard. If you would like it a bit more bitey, try using brown mustard seeds as well as yellow ones. Indian grocers are a great place to find less-expensive bulk bags of mustard seeds (and other spices for that matter).
New Forest Mustard
3 tblsp yellow mustard seeds
2 tblsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garam masala
honey to taste
Place the mustard seeds in a bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for 2 hrs, then drain and rinse.
Place the mustard seeds plus all other ingredients in a small glass jar and shake gently to combine.
Done! how easy was that.
You can also grind the mustard seeds to a powder if you prefer smooth mustard. I have seen a video in which whey is added to the finished mustard to increase it's fridge life but I haven't tried that so can't vouch for its effectiveness. This mustard should only keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge, but it is so easy to make you can whip up a small batch as needed. The jar pictured is how much you get using the above quantities.

No comments:

Post a Comment