Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Been Playing with my Jig Saw

I have just started getting into woodworking and it is a lot of fun and surprisingly easy to knock something together. The baby is going through a phase where he loves to perch down on low ledges etc, so I decided to make him a little bench seat.

Here's what I came up with. Own design, pine timber purchased from Bunnings, jig saw, electric sander, hammer and nails. And that's it! Total cost of materials around $20. I know it's not quite professional quality, but considering it's the second piece of woodworking I've ever done, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not sure what to do about finishing it... The last thing I want to do is coat it in something toxic. Will have to do some research.

I was first inspired to try my hand at a little woodworking when I saw the Waldorf Fire Stacker over at The Mystical Kingdom. If you're interested, I say jump in and give it ago. I find with most crafts it's best to just dive in and learn techniques as needed for the projects you want to work on. Even big projects are can be broken down into a series of manageable steps and techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment