Monday, October 5, 2009

BOGI Organic Fair

On Sunday I attended the annual Brisbane Organic Growers' Fair at Albion. This was the first time I had attended the BOGI fair and it was well worth it! I came home with a baby passion fruit vine, three packets of sees and a mind buzzing full of ideas.

Particularly about Chickens!!!

I'm sure the chicken bug bites all 'simple lifers' sooner or later, and we have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now. We were almost going to get some at one point but I vetoed the idea when I realised DH had visions of building a 6ft high monstrosity of a cage for them.

However, after talking to the good people at Allan's Cages I now realise that chickens can actually sleep in those cute little A Frame Coops. So we could have them free-ranging around the back yard while we're at home (which is a lot of the time), and shut up in their little coop at night. This is great news! No monstrous cage necessary.

Clearly, I don't know a lot about chickens. But I am determined to learn all I can before making a decision about getting some. To help me along I ordered a couple of books from the local library. The prospect of getting chickens is really quite exciting.

Photo 1 from BOGI website

Photo 2 from Allan's Cages website

No comments:

Post a Comment